frame

Word up!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flip The Tune 07 - Love Month

edited January 29 in Crumplbangers

Flip The Tune is an idea copied from Andrew Huang's youtube channel, where a few producers take a sample and make a song with it, making that sample the focal point of the song.

How To: Each producer can use all the loops they want to create the song and will have until the end of each month to do it or at least to show something based on it.
Everything from dubious software to official DAWs can be used, you can even steal samples from other songs, just not the whole thing, this is not mashup making, it's remixing and original creations only.

**Duration: **Work towards a track with at least 1m30s and don't worry about it being too long, can't put chackles on creativity!
Just no need to add a huge beat intro/ending (see examples for more info), we're not looking for extended mixes.

Posting of the songs: Everything works here, sowndhaus, soundcloud, clyp.it, youtube, you name it, as long as one can listen to it.
Choose your song name and tag #FlipTheTune so we start to get noticed for that tag.

No entry fee which leads to no prizes awarded :lol: but we'll make good feedback on the production, track composition, sound quality and sound engineering.
**ETA: Sunday 29-Feb 23:59
OK so, who's in? **Please give feedback if you're going to do something for the project.

February challenge is all about love because of Valentine's Day.
No, not really. :lol:
The song to flip is about love, the challenge is for you to go crazy with it!
Grab it or ask for it on PM.

Comments

• @garagara , @oki please try to get more people to join this, more tracks means more feedback and that is always a good thing.
    I'm going to copy the link to some folks on facebook, to see if they want in.

• Yeah I'm in this month thanks guys 🤜🤛
  • @garagara said:
    Yeah I'm in this month thanks guys 🤜🤛

cool, lets do it!

• How are you guys going with this? I've got a thing going on with a nice vibe, just need to make it interesting now :)
  • @garagara said:
    How are you guys going with this? I've got a thing going on with a nice vibe, just need to make it interesting now :)

I've started mine yesterday, cleaned the sample but still need the rest ;)
    I barely never have it done in the middle of the month LOL either do it in a few hours in the beginning or leave it almost to the end... but I may have a snipet by the end of the day for you! (which means around dinner time for you eheheh)

• edited February 16

Well... everything got together pretty fast this time :astonished:
    used 4 tracks for sax, each with a bit of sample. 3 of them had applied a VST called Raum from Native Instruments (Reverb) which was free when I downloaded it, one of them had also LFOtool from Xfer Records (free plugin) for sidechain, another had A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton (free plugin) for the same reason;
    1 full beat sample, 3 separated beat samples (kick, perc and top loop), some scratch loops, crash, 2 snare fills and a white noise lifter.
    After that I did the bass with a free VST from U-he called Tyrell N6 and used another free VST for rhythm called A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton and Bx_Subfilter by Brainworx (also free) for sub body;
    Did a chord progression with some bells from Zampler // RX Beat and shaped it with Krush by Tritik (free plugin) and Roth-AIR by Daniel Rothmann (also free);
    Finally used another free VST from U-he called Podolski for the acid sounds with also Krush and Roth-AIR for sound lift and a bit of shaping for yet another free plugin called Bx_RockRack from Brainworx.

PS: didn't really do any kind of mastering, it's all still standard volume only.
    PS2: Will release a proper version for soundcloud and/or bandcamp without the initial sax playing.
    Hear at: https://clyp.it/bg1nb1bt?token=af04ae50bf5cd027c1413015f17fa9be

• Correction: LFOtool is not free unfortunately :( you can use A1TriggerGate as an alternative.
    but here's the whole list of my free VSTs if you want any of them:
    https://board.crumplebangers.com/discussion/73/music-production-free-vsts-and-daw/p1?new=1

• edited February 19

@Rudec said:
    Well... everything got together pretty fast this time :astonished:
    used 4 tracks for sax, each with a bit of sample. 3 of them had applied a VST called Raum from Native Instruments (Reverb) which was free when I downloaded it, one of them had also LFOtool from Xfer Records (free plugin) for sidechain, another had A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton (free plugin) for the same reason;
    1 full beat sample, 3 separated beat samples (kick, perc and top loop), some scratch loops, crash, 2 snare fills and a white noise lifter.
    After that I did the bass with a free VST from U-he called Tyrell N6 and used another free VST for rhythm called A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton and Bx_Subfilter by Brainworx (also free) for sub body;
    Did a chord progression with some bells from Zampler // RX Beat and shaped it with Krush by Tritik (free plugin) and Roth-AIR by Daniel Rothmann (also free);
    Finally used another free VST from U-he called Podolski for the acid sounds with also Krush and Roth-AIR for sound lift and a bit of shaping for yet another free plugin called Bx_RockRack from Brainworx.

PS: didn't really do any kind of mastering, it's all still standard volume only.
    PS2: Will release a proper version for soundcloud and/or bandcamp without the initial sax playing.
    Hear at: https://clyp.it/bg1nb1bt?token=af04ae50bf5cd027c1413015f17fa9be

Sounding good mate. Much more polished than mine...
    So here's mine. Not finished yet, just a simple thing but I've been enjoying it. Interesting to hear the different directions we've gone in.

I've used BFD and VPROM for drums
    Unfiltered Audio Lion for the pads and bass
    Then everything else is using the sample in some way with different effects.

Will get back to it and tidy it up, but thought i'd share where it's at.

https://sowndhaus.audio/track/15403/flip-the-sample-6-draft

• Ah, Just listened back. Not sure when that snare got so loud!
  • edited February 23

@garagara said:
    Ah, Just listened back. Not sure when that snare got so loud!

your snare isn't that bad on my phones :)
    and it's a very nice groove you got there!
    what I need to get is a better bass VST, it's causing me to disperse right on the start of the track creation...
    well it depends on the track but when I need a more bassy like sound I don't have any and have to "steal" from other samples to make my own ;)
    My track was cut and polished a bit more, I've sent it to Gravitas Recordings to see if they want to release it... let's see.
    Here's the final work: soundcloud.com/ctfx/always/s-MIF0R