frame

Word up!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

72 submission guidelines

pompom
edited May 9 in 72

The goal here is to make sure every submitted part can be edited together seamlessly into the full mix.
To achieve this, everybody's submitted parts should stay around the same volume level.

The only important part

Make sure the previous part that you are mixing into remains exactly the same so it can be added to the mix with a simple cut and shunt.

We want to avoid this...

We want this...

The easiest way to do this is to group or bus your channels and process them separately.
The previous part should remain untouched and identical until the point you start mixing

• No compression
  • No EQ
  • No volume changes
  • No FX

Once you start mixing you can go wild with it, but put all processing in your group channel.

A basic example of grouping....

Volume level/loudness

Everybody has their own way of mixing and mastering, which makes this a challenge to get a consistent volume for everyone.
It's also the nature of these things that the loudness creeps up over time, nobody wants to sound quieter than the person before them and before we know it we've ran out of mixing headroom.

Basically, try and match your average loudness with the previous parts so everybody's roughly in the same area.

From here on out if there's a slight volume mismatch I'll fix it in the mix.
This could mean your overall volume may go up or down and have unintended consequences for your sound.

RMS and stuff (If you don't understand just use your ears.)

I recommend adding a good metering tool to your master channel.

I use TT DR-Meter, Waves Dorrough or Youlean Loudness Meter.

Here's a free download for TT DR-Meter 1.4... www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/DR-Meter%201_4a.zip
It's 32 bit only I think.

Youlean has a free version too... https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
32 or 64bit.

Here are DR-Meter's values for all the parts so far plus the full mix...

DR        Peak            RMS           Filename

DR11     -0.31 dB   -13.89 dB   72.4.1_pomDeter.wav
 DR8      -0.30 dB   -10.80 dB   72.4.2_Eddie_Pedalo.wav
 DR9      -0.30 dB   -11.87 dB   72.4.3_oki.wav
 DR7      -0.30 dB   -10.39 dB   72.4.4_Rudec.wav
 DR8      -0.30 dB   -10.04 dB   72.4.5_ToToM.wav
 DR8      -0.31 dB   -11.00 dB   72sofar5.wav

DR: Dynamic Range. Higher numbers are more dynamic, smaller numbers are more compressed
Peak: The loudest point of the waveform.
RMS: The average loudness of the whole track.

RMS is the value to keep an eye on.
As you can see it varies per track between -13.89 dB and -10.04 dB.

The average RMS for the entire mix is -11.00 dB. This is the value to aim for with your part.

Add a meter to your master channel and watch the RMS value.
It doesn't have to stay at -11dB for the whole part. It can shift either way, for example ToToM's part had sections at -14 dB and others at -6 dB. The average for the whole file tho is -10.4 dB.

TL;DR

Keep the previous part identical in every way up until the point when you start your mix.
Try to mix at -11 dB RMS.

Comments

• In my mix I tried to lower some of the tracks down to an adequate level, specially the Noisia track, was wayyyyyyy too loud at first.
    So IMHO first thing is trying to match everything to the lower volume track in the mix and raise it from there until the whole thing matches the previous one. Just my two cents.